...3rd-5th grade vocabulary across the curriculum.
...students feel smart while learning new words and expanding their vocabulary.
...vocabulary portfolios that travel with students year after year.
...students directly with transformative data updated in real-time.
....students real choices.
...students with clear monthly goals to keep them motivated.
...positive peer pressure using scoreboards and teams..
...vocabulary acquisition for every child, based on research.
- Total number of words learned.
- Ranking nationally, by total number of words learned.
- Ranking within a team created by the teacher.
- A word wall of the 400 words, with words learned appearing in color.
- Messages of encouragement from Eye on the Scoreboards.
- Merit badges for achievements.
- We identified 400 useful words across the curriculum for each grade.
- We wrote, found, and collected passages using those 400 words.
- We crafted student-friendly explanations of all the words.
- We built short quizzes that TEACH the words in nuanced ways.
- We created a system that requires repeated interaction with each word.
- We motivate students to create a complete collection of words each year.
"A large and rich vocabulary is the hallmark of an educated individual."